Sunday, April 17, 2011

I Follow You

This week in Multimedia Journalism class, students are recommended to join Twitter and follow at least three people that look interesting. I've been joining Twitter for almost two years and already followed the news organization accounts like Reuters, Huffington Post, and some of Indonesian news channel. But to follow the journalists in Twitter, especially U.S journalists, is a new thing for me. So I opened the MuckRack, website that compiled journalists' tweets, and started to follow:
- Katie Couric (@katiecouric), anchor in CBS News
- Cara Parks (@caraparks), world editor in Huffington Post
- Courtney Hazlett (@courtneyatmsnbc), pop-culture correspondent for MSNBC

After following them for a few days, I figured out some interesting points. First, they didn’t always tweet about their work or journalism-news-related. Sometimes they put their thoughts or their agenda for a day, like Couric informed her appearance in Today Show, or Hazlett that expressed her feelings about American Idol elimination (well, she’s a pop-culture writer, so I think the opinion is still part of her job).

To tweet about news, Couric, Parks, and Hazlett put links for article, videos, and pictures. They also re-tweet information they got from other twitter accounts to their followers, and used hashtags for different topics. The frequency of their tweets are varying; one day they could post three until five various tweets, and on other day could only one tweet. 

Each of the account has numerous followers. Couric has the largest amount with more than 180,000 people following her, Hazlett has 8,000 followers, and Parks "only" has 800 followers. I think it's because the two first people are well-known by public based on their appearance on television.


No comments:

Post a Comment